The Los Angeles Lakers announced the official photos and jersey numbers of James and their first-round pick, Dalton Knecht, on Friday, June 28.
Knecht will wear No. 4, earning the clever nickname “Knecht Four.” However, LeBron James was more focused on his son, who selected No. 9.
This is a departure from the No. 6 Bronny James wore at USC, which his dad has worn at various points during his illustrious 21-year career.
LeBron James had “no words” after seeing his son suit up.
LeBron James has expressed a desire to play with his son until the end of his career. Now, that desire has come true, as he selected Bronny James with pick No. 55 overall in the second round, making them the first father-son team in the NBA.
“I need to be on the floor with my boy, I got to be on the floor with Bronny,” James told ESPN in 2023. “Either in the same uniform or a matchup against him…. I would love to do the whole Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. thing. That would be ideal for sure.”
Star Anthony Davis Pleased With Bronny James Pick
Anthony Davis, the Los Angeles co-star of LeBron James, was a supporter of the squad that selected Bronny. Davis is able to witness the younger James develop into a capable player.
“His defense is excellent,” Davis said to ESPN. “He has excellent floor reading skills. He’s a tremendously good playmaker, in my opinion. I saw him work out a couple times besides the [Klutch Sports] pro day and working with a big — his reads, reading the defense, making the right passes — that was really impressive to me. He’s going to be fine, man. Obviously it’s a lot of pressure on him with his dad being who he is.
A number of other celebrities from the league, such as former NBA player Draymond Green, offered their opinions on Bronny’s selection by the Lakers.
“I’m just going to take the bet that this kid works hard, which he does. He has LeBron James DNA and I am gonna take the bet on that…and then you watch him play, he is a good basketball player,” Green said in an interview with his podcast. “I’m goin to take that bet because you got him at 55, so he even becomes a rotation player, you did great and I think he could possibly become a rotational player in the next two years.”
LeBron James Facing Decision on Future With Lakers
The father-son team performing together isn’t set in stone just yet. A player option for $51.4 million is on LeBron James’ radar. Although it’s expected that he will opt out, he isn’t necessarily leaving Los Angeles.
The Lakers are prepared to give James the maximum three-year, $162 million contract, according to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin. That would likely keep James in LA for the rest of his career. James hasn’t given much explanation on his decision outside of a message shortly after the Lakers were booted from the postseason.
James posted on April 30. “I’ve seen, heard a lot of reports about my future. I said it last night and I’ll say it again. I do not know yet as I’m only thinking about spending time with my family & friends. When I know after speaking with the fam, my counsel as well as my representation about it then you guys will know. Until then [quiet].”
James will probably return to the Lakers now that his son is a member of the team, and the team hired JJ Redick as their head coach. Redick and James previously hosted a podcast together and have a preexisting relationship.